Wikipedia dumps are useful for quickly getting a corpus. They are also the best corpora for making your language pair are useful for Wikipedia's Content Translation tool :-)
You download them from
There are several tools for turning dumps into useful plaintext, e.g.
- Wikipedia Extractor – a python script that tries to remove all formatting
- wikiextractor – another python script that removes all formatting (with different options), putting XML marks just to know when begins and ends everty single article
- mwdump-to-pandoc – shell wrapper around pandoc (see the usage.sh below the script for how to use)
- Calculating_coverage#More_involved_scripts – an ugly shell script that does the job
- wp2txt – some ruby thing (does this work?)