Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bonding Period week 1: 4/25-5/1
- Got the development environment ready. apertium, lttoolbox and other tools and tests all working properly.
- Filled the Pending Tests page with some translations (based on the ones in the mt-en page).
- Started working on a script to generate a Maltese monodix from external sources. Nothing to show yet.
- Notified 2 TAU professors (both specializing in CL) about my project, both agreed to offer help if necessary.
- Wrote to a contact related to the MaltiLex project, looking for better contact (perhaps through my university's faculty).
Bonding Period week 2: 5/2 - 5/8
- Picked up and started reading the Teach Yourself Maltese grammar book.
- Wrote the framework for a script that generates fullform Maltese verb lists. 
- We worked on splitting verbs into categorizes and optional subclasses, writing rules (based on stem affixes, roots and vowels) in a python script for each class.
- Found out about the way [Wiktionary] stores conjugation data about the verbs it has; very useful for creating new rule groups. . Finished converting these tables this week except for   (that are identical to strong.py apart for a transformation in imperfect forms).
- spectre contacted Prof. Adam Ussishkin and he provided us with Maltese verb lists that we need to look over. 
- Contacted John J. Camilleri regarding his Maltese morphology slideshow, asking for data on verb conjugation.
- Will add the verbs already added to the Hebrew and bidi dix files.
Bonding Period week 3: 5/9 - 5/15
- Continued studying Maltese from the grammar book.
- Added verbs from John Camilleri's slideshow to the Maltese analyser program.
Bonding Period week 4: 5/16 - 5/22
- Added closed categories to the Maltese analyser (pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions, determiners, numerals)
- Added closed categories to the Hebrew dictionary
- Added closed categories to the bidix
Week 1: 5/23 - 5/29
- Fixed bugs in some of the environment tools I was using
- Added missing Hebrew determiners and pronouns
- Added missing closed categories to the bidix
Week 2: 5/30 - 6/5
- Generate Hebrew verb speling file from hspell output
- Format Hebrew verbs speling file as Apertium dix file
- Research handling of attached/clitic pronouns on both Maltese & Hebrew
Week 3: 6/6 -6/12
- Fixed Hebrew noun paradigms (automatically generated from hspell)
- Add existing verbs to bidix
- Add missing determiners to Maltese file (as per Fran's email)
Week 4: 6/13 - 6/19
--- (Studied for exam, haven't achieved much)
Week 5: 6/20 - 6/26
- Fully analyse all words in sample paragraph 1
- Added all paragraph words to bidix, then update Hebrew dix accordingly
- Added a list of Maltese proper nouns, adverbs and updated dix, bidix
- Fixed bugs in hspell output for plural nouns, verbs
Week 6: 6/27 - 7/3
- Worked on mt.dix to achieve better coverage of Maltese corpus
- Added lists of adjectives generated from 'suspected' lists (according to suffixes, etc)
- Used Wiktionary extracting script to load nouns, adjectives from Maltese items in English Wiktionary
- Used wider Maltese corpus received from Kevin Scnanell
- Added more Maltese nouns, adjectives and verbs from top of frequency list
- Contacted Michael Spagnol re Maltese Broken Plurals to receive list of nouns with broken plural form.
- Fixed several noun paradigms