Task ideas for Google Code-in
This is the task ideas page for Google Code-in, here you can find ideas on interesting tasks that will improve your knowledge of Apertium and help you get into the world of open-source development.
The people column lists people who you should get in contact with to request further information. All tasks are 2 hours maximum estimated amount of time that would be spent on the task by an experienced developer, however:
- this is the time expected to take by an experienced developer, you may find that you spend more time on the task because of the learning curve.
- code: Tasks related to writing or refactoring code
- documentation: Tasks related to creating/editing documents and helping others learn more
- research: Tasks related to community management, outreach/marketting, or studying problems and recommending solutions
- quality: Tasks related to testing and ensuring code is of high quality.
- design: Tasks related to user experience research or user interface design and interaction
Clarification of "multiple task" types
- multi = number of students who can do a given task
- dup = number of times a student can do the same task
You can find descriptions of some of the mentors here.
|research||Join us on IRC||Use an IRC client to log onto our IRC channel and stick around for four hours.||yes||40|
|code||fix any open issue with our IRC bot||Fix any open issue with begiak, our IRC bot.||python||sushain, JNW||no|
|code||install Apertium and check that it works||bash||ftyers,JNW||yes||150|
|research||Write a contrastive grammar||Document 6 differences between two (preferably related) languages and where they would need to be addressed in the Apertium pipeline (morph analysis, transfer, etc). Use a grammar book/resource for inspiration. Each difference should have no fewer than 3 examples. Put your work on the Apertium wiki under Language1_and_Language2/Contrastive_grammar. See Farsi_and_English/Pending_tests for an example of a contrastive grammar that a previous GCI student made.||wiki, languages||Mikel||yes||40|
|quality||Add 200 new entries to a bidix to language pair %AAA%-%BBB%||Our translation systems require large lexicons so as to provide production-quality coverage of any input data. This task requires the student to add 200 new words to a bidirectional dictionary.||xml, dictionaries, svn||Mikel||yes||yes|
|quality||Disambiguate 500 tokens of text in %AAA%||Run some text through a morphological analyser and disambiguate the output. Contact the mentor beforehand to approve the choice of language and text.||disambiguation, svn||Mikel||yes|
|research||document how to install the API for python||no|