Task ideas for Google Code-in
This is the task ideas page for Google Code-in, here you can find ideas on interesting tasks that will improve your knowledge of Apertium and help you get into the world of open-source development.
The people column lists people who you should get in contact with to request further information. All tasks are 2 hours maximum estimated amount of time that would be spent on the task by an experienced developer, however:
- this does not include time taken to install / set up apertium.
- this is the time expected to take by an experienced developer, you may find that you spend more time on the task because of the learning curve.
- code: Tasks related to writing or refactoring code
- documentation: Tasks related to creating/editing documents and helping others learn more
- research: Tasks related to community management, outreach/marketting, or studying problems and recommending solutions
- quality: Tasks related to testing and ensuring code is of high quality.
- interface: Tasks related to user experience research or user interface design and interaction
You can find descriptions of some of the mentors here: List_of_Apertium_mentors.
|interface||Nicely laid out interface for ud-annotatrix||Design an HTML layout for the annotatrix tool that makes best use of the space and functions nicely at different screen resolutions.||annotation, annotatrix||Fran, Masha|
|interface||Come up with a CSS style for annotatrix||annotation, annotatrix||Fran, Masha|
|quality||Write a test for the format converters in annotatrix||annotation, annotatrix||Fran, Masha||yes|
|code||Write a function to detect invalid trees in annotatrix and advise the user||It is possible to detect invalid trees (such as those that have cycles). We would like to write a function to detect those kinds of trees and advise the user. The GitHub issue is here.||annotation, annotatrix||Fran, Masha|
|documentation||Write a tutorial on how to use annotatrix to annotate a dependency tree||Give step by step instructions to annotating a dependency tree with Annotatrix. Make sure you include all possibilities in the app, for example tokenisation options.||annotation, annotatrix||Fran, Masha|
|documentation||Make a video tutorial to annotating a dependency tree with annotatrix||Give step by step instructions to annotating a dependency tree with Annotatrix. Make sure you include all possibilities in the app, for example tokenisation options.||annotation, annotatrix||Fran, Masha|
|quality||Merge two versions of the Polish morphological dictionary||At some point in the past, someone deleted a lot of entries from the Polish morphological dictionary, and unfortunately we didn't notice at the time and have since added stuff to it. The objective of this task is to take the last version before the mass deletion and the current version and merge them.||xml, dictionaries, svn||Masha|