Task ideas for Google Code-in
Jump to navigation Jump to search
An informal spot for outlining ideas for the Google Code-in (GCI).
- Code Take two language pairs, use apertium-crossdics and clean up the resulting bilingual dictionary. For instance, build Occitan-French from Occitan-Catalan and Catalan-French.
- Code Convert an existing resource into Apertium format, for example an analyser for Punjabi or Hindi.
- Documentation Document features used in language pairs but not documented in the current official documentation or wiki (for instance, cascaded interchunk transfer); integrate that into the existing "official " documentation.
- Outreach Writing a quick guide on 'What Apertium can and cannot do to help you with your homework'.
- Quality Assurance Perform a human post-editting evaluation of one of our non-evaluated pairs. At least 5,000 words.
- Quality Assurance Make some concrete improvements in a language pair. This might be disambiguation, transfer or vocabulary (in particular, minor-major language pairs would appreciate input: Welsh-English, Basque-Spanish, Breton-French).
- Research Pick an under-resourced language, and go and find as many free resources for it as possible. This could include grammatical/morphological descriptions, dictionaries, anything. Catalogue them in the Incubator.
- Training Writing up a simple step-by-step guide (on the wiki) for pre-university students (of varying levels of computer literacy) to install a development version of Apertium and start doing development or polishing tasks like the ones above, to become a young Apertium developer. This may reuse or link existing material.
- Translation Translate the new language pair HOWTO — and in the process commit the translation system you make to the Incubator
- User interface Update apertium-tolk and apertium-dbus