Online Apertium Workshop 2020
A two-session online workshop to discuss how information flows from one module to another in the Apertium pipeline.
All Apertium developers welcome!
Sessions will be moderated by Jonathan N. Washington.
Session #1: Tuesday, June 30, 1400–1600 UTC
- 10-minute/10-slide talks followed by 10 minute Q&A.
- 1400 UTC Welcome and adjustments
- 1410 UTC "Rule-based machine translation and the Apertium paradigm", Francis Tyers
- I will present a short overview of rule-based machine translation paradigms and situate Apertium within them.
- 1425 UTC "Why we want to eliminate trimming and the motivation for secondary information", Tanmai Khanna
- I will try to give a background about the entire secondary information discussion. This started as a project to eliminate trimming, and secondary information came out of it as a possible solution to that and other problems, such as markup handling. I will present the pros and cons of trimming and why we want to eliminate it, and the possible solutions.
- 1450 UTC "Reading-bound data as inline secondary tags", Tino Didriksen
- "Reading-bound data is best transported as inline secondary tags, proven both by practical experience and theoretical complexity."
- 1515 UTC "Moving all Multiwords to Apertium-separable", Daniel Swanson
- "I will describe what would be involved in migrating most or all multiwords from monodixes to language-specific -separable rules, including the extent to which it can be automated and how it might impact the other debates surrounding trimming and secondary information. (If this is deemed out-of-scope for this discussion, let me know, though I'm interested in attending regardless.)"
- 1540 UTC Short open discussion
- 1555 UTC Closing
Session #2: Thursday, July 2, 1400 UTC–1600 UTC
- 1400 UTC General discussion
WeirdNon-Canonical things we do in Catalan-related pairs -> Xavi Ivars (I may be late for the meeting)
- 1500 UTC Conclusions and proposal to the Apertium Community
- 1555 UTC Closing
How to connect
We will use Google Meet. Please join with your microphone off when you are admitted.
Please *sign up here* before the workshop.