Maltese and Hebrew/Final report
Writing the Maltese morphological analyser was the hardest task in the project and required most of the time. I'm also very pleased with the results we got.
We then used Malteses frequency lists generated from the various corpora, and added them slowly using all kinds of translation tools, dictionaries and/or learning/guestimating by context and usage. This was a headache but got very good results; within about 2 weeks (and during my exams period) we got to a ~80% coverage of the Maltese corpora.
In comparison, writing he.dix and handling Hebrew generation was fairly easy. Other than my own Hebrew knowledge, this was mostly due to research I've done before GSoC started (for my application).
We have tweaked some code from the hspell Hebrew spellchecker project, to get most of the open-category terms. This way we easily got good enough coverage of nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc.
For closed-category terms, I added a lot of them at the beginning of the project, and then fixed what was needed as we went alone with the bidix.
- Maltese Wikipedia ( , std. dev.: )
- Maltese news sites ( , std. dev.: )
- Maltese Scannel corpus ( , std. dev.: )
- Error rate