Dhivehi and English
- 'i see a child' -> aharen (I) _nah_ feney(see) kujjeh(a child) [ waharenqnaSq fenE kuewqjewq ]
- 'he sees a child' -> eyna (that person) _ah_ feney(see) kujjeh(a child) [ wEnawaSq fenE kuwqjewq ]
- 'we see a child' -> aharumen (we) _nah_ feney(see) kujjeh(a child) [ waharumenqnaSq fenE kuwqjewq ]
- 'the dog sees a child' -> kuththa(dog-the) _ah_ feney(see) kujjewq(a child) [ wemIhunqnaSq fenE kuwqjewq ]
|house||ge||seems to be same as definite form|
|some houses||bawewq gEge||bawewq = some|
|from a house||gewakunq|| wEna wawI gewakunq
he came house+IND+ABL
|to a house||gewakaSq|| mIti gewakaSq genqgosqdI
this thing house+IND+DAT take+IMP
|of a house||gewewqge|| gEwewqge furALu
|in a house||gewewqgawi|| kuwqjA vI gewewqgawi
child is house+IND+LOC
|by a house||?|
|from the house||gewinq||ablative|| wEna wawI gewinq
he came house+ABL
|to the house||gewaSq||dative|| mIti gewaSq genqgosqdI
this thing house+DAT take+IMP
|of the house||gEge||genitive is same form as plural?|| gEge furALu
|in the house||gEgawi||locative?|
|by the house||gewAwi||instrumental?|
|of the houses||getakuge|
|in the houses||getakugawi|
|with the houses||getakAwiweku|
|to the houses||getakaSq|
|from the houses||getakunq|
|these houses||mi getawq|
|with a house||gewakAwiweku|
|to a houses||getakakaSq|
|of a houses||getakewqge|
|in a houses||getakewqgawi|
|from a houses||getakakunq|
|with a house||gewakAwiweku|
- He came from the house -> "wEna wawI gewinq" -> "އޭނަ އައީ ގެއިން"
- Take it to the house -> "mIti gewqSq genqgosqdI" "މީތި ގެއަށް ގެންގޮސްދީ"
- The roof of the house -> "gEge furALu" "ގޭގެ ފުރާޅު"
- The child is in the house -> "kuwqjA vI gEterEgawi" "ކުއްޖާ ވީ ގޭތެރޭގައި"
- Sitting room of a house -> "gewewqge siTinq rUmq"
- The roof of a house -> "gewewqge furALu"
- Take it to a house -> "mIti gewakaSq genqgosqdI"
- He came from a house -> "wEna wawI gewakunq"
- The child is in the house -> "kuwqjA vI gEterEgawi"
- The child hit the ball with a stick -> "kuwqjA bOLawigawi danqDiwakunq jehi"
about translating the english word 'and' 1) eg: cat and mouse nouns: buLA -> cat mIdA -> mouse translates to : buLalAwi mIdA the and is actually the 'lAwi' part 1| buLA changes its suffix: from buLA to buLa 2| add the 'and' to translated form 'lAwi' buLalAwi 3| add translated word for mouse , mIdA buLalAwi mIdA but: translating: "cookie and milk" nouns: cookie: bisqkOdu milk: kiru yields: bisqkOdAwi kiru here, the 'and' is .. 'Awi', notice that its just a diacritic and a letter followed by diacritic.. 2) several times, 'wadi' is also used as a literal replacement for 'and' eg: cat and mouse buLA wadi mIdA cat and mouse these both forms are acceptable.. something i must add.. there are several 'lAwi' 'Awi' patterns, for example: translating i and him i = waharenq him = wEna combined final translation: waharenqnAwi wEna here it's 'nAwi' the pattern to select depends on the ending of the pronoun before it..