Languages Of Russia
Finding numbers of speakers from the Russian census
This is the link to the website with data about the number of speakers of any language in Russia in areas smaller than the Federal Subjects. The data is in Russian and comes from the official 2010 Russian Census website.
Here are the steps to access the data:
- On the page, click on the Построить таблицу по итогам ВПН-2010 link in the left menu. You will end up on this website.
- In the left menu, go to Лицо, then Л9.3 Родной язык (Mother tongue) within that section, and check all the languages that we need to find data on in the first level, then press 'Add to: column' (or 'Добавить к: колонка' in Russian).
- Now in the left menu, go to 'TEPCOH-ATE' (near the bottom), and select the areas that you want to get data for in whatever level that they are in (Federal Subject, town, suburb etc.), and then press 'Add to: row' (or 'Добавить к: строка' in Russian).
- Now, press the 'Retrieve Data' button on the page, and the table with the data will be completed. If the button is greyed out though, it means that there is no such data for that area or language.
A table with the data will appear, which then can be exported into an Excel spreadsheet.
Sometimes when there are many cells in the table, a message about large tables and/or cubes shows up. Don't worry, this is completely normal, because it simply means that the data is too large to be contained in an Excel spreadsheet.
Here is a simplified guide to how to access the data:
- Select the languages from the NativeLanguage_01 by checking all of them
- Press add to column or add to row
- Do the same with the regions that you need
- Press the 'Retrieve Data' button
Also, one way to tell which regions belong to which larger region is to add the regions 1 level higher than them, and since the table is sorted by entity, then each region is sorted under its larger geographical region. This would also solve the problem with the multiple names of regions as well e.g. regions named Алексеевский район, for which there are multiple in Russia.