Ideas for Google Summer of Code/Adopt a language pair
This project will involve writing linguistic data, including morphological rules and transfer rules — which are specified in a declarative language. A good intro would be to look through Apertium New Language Pair HOWTO, see also Contributing to an existing pair. If the pair has OK dictionaries but a bad tagger (disambiguator), a GsoC project might involve writing a good Constraint Grammar for the pair.
The coding challenge for this task is to ...
- Install Apertium (see Minimal installation from SVN)
- Go through the HOWTO
- Go through the MT course here (или здесь)
- Write a translator that translates as much of this story as possible. (Другие переводы рассказа здесь.)
- If there is no translation, translate it into the languages of your language pair first.
- Upload your work to Apertium SVN.
The URL to your coding challenge work should be included in your application.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I do a pair with language x and language y ?
- - Yes. But you should take the following into consideration: (a) Are there existing MT systems for this pair? (b) How closely related is the pair? (c) How many resources already exist for the pair? (d) Are there any mentors who can evaluate your work?
Previous GSOC projects
And pairs which were adopted in past years: